Tuesday, December 6, 2011

What random damage can I do here?

I actually already have a family blog on LiveJournal, but seeing this one sitting here blank is just kind of sad. So maybe I'll figure out something more exciting to talk about here...

For anyone who doesn't know me, I'm married with two young children. My husband is currently working as a Pizza Hut manager. I stay at home with the kids, two girls - 2.5 and (almost) 1. I'm starting to feel a little, I dunno, ready to get out of the house more. So another vehicle would be kind of nice. But then when I actually do get out of the house, I remember why I don't mind so much. You'd think I could figure out how to plan around naps and such, especially since I tend to take such a lackadaisical approach to everything, but alas...

For unscheduled kids, these little girls do have a preferred routine and general timetable. And any deviation (as in, any leaving the house, it seems like) usually leads to messed up bedtimes and wake times, which matters a bit to me since it's not usually consistent in a very productive way. That is, one falls asleep super early and then decides to wake up around the time the other finally gets to sleep. And then I get to sleep two hours later than usual and then whichever one really went to bed for the night sooner gets up earlier, you know, a few hours later. ;-) Thankfully, I am exaggerating just a bit. Since I don't have a job or any other similar obligations, I am not stressed out by this and it's not super frequent. But it's still motivation to be sure that we stick to the routine as closely as possible.

Speaking of routines, the other excuse I have for sleeping less (which is more frequently the cause than the girls themselves) is that Josh tends to get home from work pretty late. Now, I do sleep in pretty late, too, but sometimes it just doesn't feel like the hours between add up to enough (even though I think I get more sleep now than I ever did when I wasn't married). On nights when Josh doesn't get home till two or three or four in the morning, I have the girls in bed. And then we get to cuddle on the couch and watch something. If it's one of Josh's boring Japanese cartoons, I snooze. ;-) If it's in English and has to do with family dynamics (like Malcolm in the Middle), I don't usually sleep. It's like a couch date almost every night. ;-) And in an effort to do what we can to deal with life's annoyances with the resources available, Josh recently bought my brother's couch to replace the rather ugly loveseat we've used during our four years of marriage.



I've actually been surprised at how little it really costs and how attainable it is to improve the quality of our lives. This couch is amazing! Yeah, it was about ten times the price of the ugly loveseat, but even at that point, it was only about half of what we usually spend for food in a month. And being the lazy bums we are, we spend a lot of time on the couch. LOL! So it was definitely a worthy investment. Josh also bought himself comfortable, durable work pants. Sometimes we puzzle over the silliest things. For over a year, he was telling himself that he was too poor to buy decent pants. It also took us about three years of being married to buckle down and spend two dollars on a pair of tongs to make grilling a little less hazardous. When you always think in terms of making do, it does inspire resourcefulness, but...sometimes it's just unnecessarily painful.

Anyway, I don't have any particular purpose in posting the above random things other than just to talk about what's on my mind...so maybe that's how I'll be using this blog. :-)

No comments: