Saturday, January 21, 2012

Not young anymore?!

As much as I'd like to think I've matured some since I turned eighteen, apparently I forget that I've also been aging since then. :-P (Though this post is not to announce that I've found I have some pretty long gray hairs...) Today I had somewhere to go and Josh was working, so I took him to work so I could use the car. And, at the end of the day, I went to Pizza Hut to pick him up. He introduced me to some of his employees that I had never met. I don't know quite what I was envisioning when he was talking about them, but it's not what I saw. And now him being the general manager makes perfect sense. ;-)

But seriously...I looked around and all I saw were little boys. :-P Only they aren't. They're adults who are either in school or supporting families and all that sort of thing. And my husband is older than them - by a fair bit. And more mature. And so on.

But the maturity part is not as relevant as just realizing that I apparently have no perspective. I think of Josh and me as being ever so young. And by comparison to some people, of course, we are. But practically, we've been adults for a while. I'm going to turn thirty this year. Josh is turning thirty next year. (Yeah, I'm the older one - by nine months and a day.) We've been a couple for nearly five years if you count from our engagement. We have two children. We bought a house and are ready to refinance our mortgage. Those "down the road" years are beginning...

I am happy where I am. I don't think I've ever valued youth greatly other than as a time to use as much energy as possible to do productive things that I might not have time or energy to do later. I don't idealize it, especially since to some degree I despised it for the struggles of youth...that I ended up having anyway despite attempts to avoid them (I mean, I avoided one set of pitfalls only to embrace another).

At any rate, this is rather rambly...it's just weird to me when I look around at Josh's employees and realize that we're not young. LOL!

In other news, we celebrated three birthdays today since we're doing it by batches now. My grandma and two of my brothers all had birthdays within a little over a month, so we celebrated their birthdays. We gave them all DVDs and doughnuts. :-P And I got some Target clearance shorts for my littlest brother since little boys always seem to need more of those kinds of items. We celebrated at noon and my aunt hosted the party, serving barbecue chicken, beef, and pork from a local place. It was really yummy!

Afterwards, my 12 y.o. sister joined me to help me grocery shop with the girls. We just went to Aldi. I considered going to Walgreens and Wal-Mart, but that seemed a bit ambitious. So after Aldi I just dropped my sister off and headed home, where the girls contentedly watched Care Bears while I unloaded groceries and cleaned trash out of the car. After seeing my total at Aldi, I'm conflicted on whether to set a stricter budget or expand the number I had set or just give up altogether. :-P I did stock up on butter since it's a lower price right now and prices tend to fluctuate a lot but mostly stay high. So I figure putting a lot of butter in the freezer is a good way to save some money.

Since my mom just got me cheese at Sam's, that will help save some money since it's a fair bit cheaper there than elsewhere. I dunno. Maybe I'm just in stock up mode for the moment, really. I have a lot of stuff in the freezer now and I'm beginning to go through and rotate it out. That seems like a plus. I am also putting more stuff in the freezer as I cook, trying to minimize leftover spoilage that has so plagued me in the past.

Okay, I'm tired. :-P Maybe I'll be back later if I have something more coherent to say. Ha.

No comments: