Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Food...

I did get to go to Aldi yesterday, happily. I neglected to consider putting parmesan cheese on my list, but I suppose I can remedy that on Thursday...and maybe get ice cream, too. Anyway...

Let's see, Sunday morning, I made fried eggs and toast and cream of wheat. It was kind of a lame meal, so I decided to make Chicago style pizza with leftover meat balls, Provolone, mozzarella, olives, tomatoes, green bell pepper, and red onion (with homemade sauce - onion, crushed tomatoes whirled in my chopper, garlic, and so on). Felicity liked the meat and the bread (I used a little bit of baking powder and cornmeal in addition to a small amount of yeast, flour, a tiny bit of oil, salt, and warm water - mixed together and pressed out into a 9x13 glass pan, par-baked for about 20 minutes), as did Mary, but Josh didn't seem like much of a fan. However, he was preoccupied with responding to a work email, so I am not sure whether it would've mattered what I made. I thought it was good, anyway, so I've packaged up the rest of the pizza for the freezer for me to eat when I'm hungry. :-P We had large salads with the pizza. Later, when we were going to Aldi, Josh had to run some boxes up to the Pizza Hut in Springdale, so the girls went to sleep in the car and we went to get frozen custard at Shake's - very yummy stuff, though I couldn't help thinking of how much more ice cream we could get at the grocery store with the same money. ;-) Still, it really was extremely good. I got the red velvet cake concrete, which is frozen custard with red velvet cake and buttercream icing all mixed up. I like cake and ice cream. :-P

Aldi was a pretty quick trip for me. Mostly, I needed fruit, veggies, milk, and eggs. They didn't appear to have any bananas in stock, but I got nine pounds of oranges ($1.48/3 lb. bag), 2 cartons of artisan lettuce ($1.99/carton), 2 cucumbers ($0.49 each, I think), 4 avocados (also about $0.49 each), 2 grapefruits ($0.29 apiece), 3 cartons of Roma tomatoes ($1.29 per 20-24 oz. carton - I can't remember the size), 2 bags of carrots ($0.99/2 lb. bag), 1 bag of yellow onions ($1.69 for 3 lbs.), and 2 cartons of pears ($0.99 for each carton of 4 pears). Eggs were $1.49/dozen, better than the $2/doz. at Wal-Mart but still more than I'd like to pay. :-P So I only got 2 dozen. And I bought 2 gallons of milk, since Felicity likes it a lot and running out is not good. :-P Plus I like to use it in a lot of cooking.

We went home then and I ate a hot dog and Josh ate some brats. And chips and dip. And carrot sticks. And leftover New Year's Eve goodies. And then said he was still hungry, so we heated up some fried mozzarella sticks (from Wal-Mart's freezer section :-P). Haha. Such a healthy day. :-P Josh does tend to eat more on his days off, which I guess somehow helps him survive the days he works and doesn't necessarily eat.

This morning, I cooked him some bacon and made him toast. He ate the bacon and one slice of toast. :-P I sent him to work with two oranges and some goodies. He says he ate one slice of pizza all day. :shaking head: If I could get him to eat a better breakfast, I totally would, but he says he didn't feel like eating today. I ate a bowl of cheerios with milk for breakfast. :-P Then for lunch I ate a huge salad with some of the leftover mozzarella sticks chopped up over it and a piece of the Chicago pizza...which Felicity ate most of the meat and part of the bread from, so I guess I didn't eat the whole piece. And then I wonder why I don't feel like I got enough protein. Ha.

For supper, I decided to make potato chowder, corn fritters, and turkey ham. I also made snickerdoodles (about 4 dozen of them). The potato chowder was pretty yummy, I think. I should read recipes to see how to make it better. I used several potatoes, an onion, 3 slices of bacon, some minced garlic (Aldi didn't have any fresh), milk, cream, flour, and salt. Oh, and half a pound of frozen corn. Then we put some cheddar cheese on it to eat it. Josh added salt and pepper to his. ;-) The corn fritters were yummy - 1 cup of corn, 1/2 t. salt, 1/2 t. baking powder, 1/4 c. milk, 1/4 c. flour, 1 egg, mixed up and fried in half an inch of oil till golden. I put most of the snickerdoodles, the rest of the chowder, the leftover turkey ham, and the leftover fritters in the freezer. Between those things and some other stuff I already had in the freezer, I'm thinking I should probably focus on eating what we already have in the freezer for the next couple days. :-P

For Thursday this week, we're wanting to make spaghetti, so I think I want to spread out my efforts on that. Yeah, spaghetti is so complicated. ;-) I bought some ground beef at Aldi. I haven't decided whether I want to add it to the spaghetti sauce to make it a meat sauce or just keep it separate. Either way, I want to make super awesome spaghetti sauce that's more along the lines of marinara. I bought 2 decent-sized cans of crushed tomatoes, which I intend to whirl in my chopper. I'm going to cut up an onion and saute' it and some minced garlic in some extra virgin olive oil till they are nice and soft. Then I'll add my various seasonings and the tomato. I have an enormous can of tomato sauce I think I'll add too. So maybe I'll use an extra onion. Haha. We'll see. I also want to make French bread. I'm thinking fairly small loaves since I have no idea how many, if any people, will come...and I want to keep quantities easily flexible. I'll make the garlic butter and have the bread all wrapped up in foil and everything and freeze it, I think, so I can just pull it out and thaw it the day of for heating in the oven.

So yeah...the artisan lettuce will be turned into salad with shredded carrots, diced tomatoes, and sliced cucumbers. :-) And I have lots of thin spaghetti to cook to go with the sauce. Like I said, I forgot the parmesan, so I need to remedy that. And once I decide about a dessert, I'll probably want to make that fresh the day of. With something as typical as spaghetti, brownies and ice cream seems like the best accompaniment, but maybe I'll decide to do something like cookies. I don't know.

In non-food related news, I'm starting to tackle clothes now. I have a fairly overflowing closet, full of clothes I will never, ever wear again, no matter how much weight I gain or lose. I threw some old shoes away yesterday. They weren't even good enough to give away (well, maybe in a third world country, but even that's iffy :-P). Yet I've kept them many years; some were even hand-me-downs to me. I need to go through my clothes and just ditch everything that I know for sure I won't wear. I have this fear that I'll end up with no summer clothes, so I'm thinking I should just start with winter clothes and see how it goes. But I think if I'm fairly ruthless, it'll help me decide whether/what I need to buy. I have tons of black skirts (like I've lost count :-P) in various sizes and several sweaters. No wonder I feel like I wear those all the time. There's not a lot else that fits or works with being a nursing mom. I wear pajamas around the house most of the time. :-P

I also need to clean out the play room. I really don't know what to do with all the stuff we have. We have plenty of space in our house, but the organizational stuff is lacking. I can't just pile things everywhere, so I'm starting to realize that I just need to get shelves and cabinets and such. There's not really another way for everything to have a place. :-P I could just get rid of everything, but somehow that doesn't seem terribly practical. But some stuff does need to go. Levi's old desk and chair are still in the room he used to occupy. We also have a huge TV in there that needs to go. All those things take up space. And we'd like to turn our guest room into something habitable again...err, habitable. We currently have a mattress in there. We bought an IKEA end table to use in there as a night stand. But some more furniture could be useful. I want to try to find a mirror to stick in there and also maybe some book shelves, a narrow desk/table, and possibly a chest of drawers (and we'll move the current one to the play room, where it'll match better, I think). I want the guest room to be blue bedding with black furniture. I like blue.

No comments: