Wednesday, March 21, 2012

I'm tired...

Part of me wants to go on vacation somewhere and do something fun or exciting. But then I remember what that would be like while trying to manage two small children. And I snicker and am happier just to be home. :sigh: Someday, right? Meanwhile, we can go places and do fun, exciting things with a fifteen month old and almost three year old. They love getting out of the house. The public library has some children's programs and I'm thinking about seeing if Josh would like to come with us to story time. He's off on the days that they have stuff, so that could be fun. Also, someone else just reminded me (not intentionally) of a local center with activities and recreation. It's in the town north of us, but it wouldn't be that far to drive once a week or so, I imagine...

So I need to look and see if there are any activities for toddlers and parents.

I made three huge pizzas last night. Even though Josh works around pizza all the time and I could just ask him to buy some for us, I actually really like homemade pizza. The girls loved the plain cheese pizza I made for them. And now I have tons of leftovers. I'm planning to eat some today and then stick the rest in the freezer, because three pizzas for me and two little girls just won't get eaten that quickly.

I also steam cleaned the living room carpet last night. Our carpet gets nasty so fast these days. I know some people are really strict with where their children can eat, but I gave up on that before we even had kids. While I don't really want them eating in the bedrooms or bathrooms, the kitchen, dining area, and living room are all acceptable to me. I just have to work extra hard to keep up with the extra mess they generate, but it's still easier than trying to keep them in one place while they're eating. Someday I want to have them sit at the table for most mealtimes, but family mealtimes are a joke so far. I'm not sure what to do about that, but at their age and with Josh's work schedule and because I can't easily feed them while I eat, I guess it's okay for now. Someday they need to learn manners, though, and it's especially useful if we go to someone else's house for a meal. Ha. They do both know how to sit at the table, for what it's worth, but it's just not a regular thing.

Oh, also, Felicity helped me make brownies last night. They turned out kind of strange, but I think the eggs we used might have been partially frozen - so maybe that's why? I'm not sure. The butter didn't combine with the batter properly, either. The brownies did bake in fairly short order and they taste just fine (really good, in fact), but the texture is off. Felicity had a blast, though. And that's the first time I've had her help me make something, I think. Josh is good about involving her when he cooks, but I always feel stressed out and worry that it will take too long. Since I had no deadlines last night, though, I figured it would be a good start.

Then when I made the pizza crust, she was ever so admiring. She saw the round disks of dough on the pans and said, "Those are beautiful, Mommy. They're really pretty!" LOL! The running commentary of a two year old drives me almost insane simply because of the constant noise, but if I actually stop and listen, it does make me laugh. She is very cheery and encouraging as she observes what I do.

No comments: